LEBUHN & PUCHTA has long established itself as a leading law firm in Hamburg and throughout Germany in the field of inland shipping. Dr. Johannes Trost –referred to in The Legal 500 as “a luminary in inland waterway law”– leads the firm’s practice group in this area. With a team of experienced lawyers, the firm is in a position to deal with very complex and contentious casualties and claims. LEBUHN & PUCHTA has particular experience in matters of collisions, casualties, fire, capsizing, salvage and wreck removal as well as pollution and environmental damage. The firm is regularly instructed in relation to claims for cargo contamination or cargo damage as well as claims involving technical issues such as coating damage, corrosion and vibration. LEBUHN & PUCHTA is one of the few law firms in Germany with specific experience of limitation fund issues (CLNI). Profound knowledge of the German AVB Fluskasko terms (German brown water hull insurance terms) and claims handling by experienced lawyers on behalf of P&I Clubs as well as a solid technical and nautical understanding form the basis for the firm’s success in this field.
The firm has been involved in many high profile casualties.
- We have advised a private equity company in connection with the purchase of 13 river cruise vessels and the founding of a joint-venture ship management company. We advised both in relation to the investment into the new venture and on shipping law matters such as re-flagging, charter, sale and handover of the vessels; we carried out the due diligence with special regard to shipping law aspects.
- Capsizing of the tank barge “ENA 2” in Hamburg.
- Pollution and limitation fund “AN.KA”.
- Capsizing of the tank barge “WALDHOF” on the river Rhine.
- Explosion of the tank barge “ALPSRAY” in Lingen.
- Capsizing and salvage of the barge “LARVIK ROCK”.
- Sinking of the work boat “ZANDER” off Norderney.
- Explosion on board the tank barge “JULIUS RÜTGERS” in Duisburg.